COVID-19 Precautions at Horizon Health Care
Effective Thursday, March 19th Horizon Health Care has implemented the following precautionary measures at our clinics as a result of COVID-19 until further notice:
- Walk-in appointments are no longer being accepted.
- All patients are being screened for symptoms of COVID-19 in addition to their travel history prior to being scheduled and again when being seen for an appointment.
- Once patients arrive at the clinic for an appointment, there will be a sign on the door with the clinic’s phone number – you MUST call the clinic prior to entering and a staff member will come outside to conduct screening.
- Temperatures will be taken of all patients and employees prior to entering the clinic.
- Extra visitors with patients at appointments will not be allowed, unless the patient is a minor or needs assistance. In these cases, patients will be allowed only one visitor with them and they will also go through the required screening.
- Waiting rooms and other public spaces are being disinfected frequently throughout the day. Magazines, toys, and other items have been removed from the waiting room to discourage virus transmission.
- Dental clinic appointments are limited at this time. Patients are encouraged to call their local Horizon dental clinic for more specific information based on their needs.
Our medical clinic hours may vary by location.
We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but need to take necessary action to protect our employees and patients as much as possible. We appreciate your patience and continued trust in Horizon Health Care and our medical teams during this difficult time.
COVID-19 in South Dakota
Coronavirus has hit home. There are positive cases of COVID-19 for residents in South Dakota. The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the rapidly spreading coronavirus outbreak a global pandemic.
Horizon Health Care is working with the South Dakota Department of Health (SDDOH) to ensure proper screening and testing is available at our clinics. We’re partnering with health officials to monitor and evaluate this rapidly evolving situation as risks may change daily. To protect our employees, patients, and visitors, we are taking appropriate steps recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Resources for Protection Against Coronavirus
COVID-19 cases range from very mild, including some with no reported symptoms, to severe. Anyone who is experiencing difficulty breathing or an extremely high temperature should seek medical help immediately.
Take Precautions for Yourself, Your Family and Your Community
The CDC has provided the following reminders to help keep yourself and your family healthy.
- Wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover coughs and sneezes with your inner elbow or a tissue
- Avoid touching your face — especially your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Clean off surfaces and objects frequently
- Develop a home kit with food, water, medication, and other necessities
- Stay home if you are sick
Coronavirus Symptoms & Signs
If you think you or a family member are showing symptoms for coronavirus, call before going to the clinic.
After exposure to COVID-19, symptoms may appear within 2-14 days.
List of Symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
- New loss of taste or smell
About 80% of patients who have COVID-19 can be treated at home. The rate of patients who experience serious complications is only slightly higher than that of seasonal flu.
Call First Before Visiting a Clinic
Walk-in appointments are no longer being accepted during this time. Please call your local Horizon clinic to book an appointment in advance. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, please tell us over the phone and our clinic staff will work to review your symptoms and recommend next steps.
If you have a planned appointment with Horizon Health Care and you don’t feel comfortable coming in, please call us and we will accommodate.
Find your nearest Horizon Health Care location.